Technological Museum

The Technological Museum of Gara Săcel is installed in the very restored fabric of the halt on Main Line 409 Salva–Vișeu–Sighet, a line whose construction, begun in April 1948 and inaugurated at the end of 1949, itself belongs to the technical history that the exhibition stages. The restoration of the building constitutes the museum’s first exhibit: the surviving signalling structures, the traffic controller’s post, and the inter-station communication installation become objects displayed in situ, rendering visible the successive layers through which the station operated.

The permanent exhibition will follow a thread that links railway telegraphy — introduced into the CFR network as the sole channel of communication with field personnel and become, by 1879, the standard equipment of the traffic controller’s office — to the evolution of signalling, from the switch lantern and the mechanical arm signal to the Banovici disc signal with electric actuation, extended across the network after 1920. Set at this intersection between the technology of communication and that of directing traffic, the Săcel halt offers a frame in which technical progress can be read through the gestures and apparatus that sustained the movement of trains along the valley of the Iza.